Motor Vehicle

Lacie A. Bennett
Dawson County Treasurer
Dawson County Courthouse
207 West Bell St.
Glendive, MT  59330
Phone: (406) 377-3026
Fax: (406) 377-1717

Find us on Facebook!
Click here




License Plate Information

plates - Copy (2)

The Title and Registration Bureau regulates the issuance of vehicle license plates. Once you have titled and registered your vehicle and paid all taxes and fees, the county treasurer’s office gives you your plates. If the plates you want are not on hand, the county treasurer gives you a 40-day temporary permit.

Montana drivers can choose from a number of license plates, ranging from the standard plate to designs that reflect their military service or show their support for a Montana college or community organization.

Transferring plates – License plates stay with the owner and may be transferred to another vehicle only when the vehicle is properly registered through the county treasurer.

Personalized plates are available for an additional fee of $25, and then $10 for each transfer and/or renewal of that plate. If you want to personalize a sponsored plate, there are additional sponsor fees. For requirements and additional information, see the Application for Personalized License Plates (MV8).

License plate decals, which indicate that an owner has paid all the taxes and fees on a vehicle, generally are issued for a one-year period by the county treasurer in the county where the vehicle is subject to tax or fee. The decal must be placed on the rear plate.

Standard plates are issued to all vehicle owners unless they request other plates.

Montana law requires the issuance of new plates every five years.